Dementia and Memory Assessment Services at Psychiatry-UK
The most common worries for those who are growing elderly, or those who care for them, are loss of cognitive function associated with the various types of dementia. Our online memory services at Psychiatry-UK can support patients with diagnosis, treatment plans and aftercare.
Our specialist memory assessments are for older people and some younger age adults. We have a dedicated team who work with the person and their supporter to ensure we offer a high-quality assessment and treatment process, taking everyone’s needs into account.
We will undertake a comprehensive assessment, recommend suitable investigations and diagnose the nature of the memory difficulties. The team includes Consultant Psychiatrists, Specialist Memory Nurses, Specialist Psychologists, Occupational Therapists and a dedicated administration team.
After diagnosis, we can provide a range of treatment interventions to individuals and groups. Medication titration is also included as part of the package, as well as post-diagnostic support and input.
How our Dementia and memory care plan works
STEP ONE: Initial Nurse Screening appointment
Our specialist nursing team will meet with you to gather important information and conduct an online Addenbrookes Cognitive examination (ACEIII) in preparation for your Consultant Diagnostic Assessment.
STEP TWO: Diagnosis and treatment consultation
Following the results of the nurse screening appointment, your Consultant will review the information and recommend any necessary investigations, including blood and urine screening, CT or MRI Head Scan.
STEP THREE: Post-diagnosis support and follow-up
After completing any additional investigations (if necessary), you will meet with your Consultant for a Diagnostic Assessment. Clinical opinion is made in most cases at the end of the assessment; in more complex patients, cases are reviewed via a multi-disciplinary team (MDT) and in some cases, the patient will be offered a further appointment.
STEP FOUR: Formulate a personalised care plan
Once a diagnosis is made, we can formulate a personal care plan tailored to the patient’s needs.
STEP FIVE: Post Diagnostic Support on offer
- Post-diagnosis reviews with a Consultant can be booked on an individual basis at either 6 or 12-week intervals
- Referral to the Psychiatry-UK titration team for a discussion of medication options.
- Cognitive Stimulation Therapy (CST) group sessions, delivered by our MDT, based on clinical presenting needs. Sessions aim to actively stimulate and engage people with dementia, whilst providing an optimal learning environment and the social benefits of a group. The effects of CST appear to be of comparable size to those reported with the currently available pharmacological treatments for dementia.
- Provide information to the patient about their condition and treatment in an accessible format, including requested information in the following areas; drug treatments, Power of Attorney (POA) and advance decision-making, local support services, and carer support (this list is not exhaustive).
Ready to book your appointment?
There are a couple of ways you can book your Memory Assessment.
- You can call our friendly and knowledgeable patient services department, who will be happy to book a date and time that suits you on 0330 124 1980. There are very short waiting times, and we do not need a referral from your GP.
- You can complete a our contact form and someone from our team will contact you to book via email if you prefer. Please ensure you choose Memory/Dementia from the list of available treatments.