Due to an increase in demand for this service, please be aware that we are currently booking ADHD Assessments for Early 2022. It is advisable to check the waiting time for your local ADHD services so that you can make an informed choice.


Your Right to Choose Psychiatry-UK for adult ADHD NHS assessment and treatment in England

If you are registered with a GP surgery in England and you are referred by a GP to a consultant or specialist in mental health, you have the legal right to choose the organisation (qualified provider)  to whom you are referred, as long as that organisation is providing that service in another part of England.

As we have NHS contracts to provide adult ADHD diagnosis and treatment services with a number of Clinical Commissioning Group in England, we fulfil the criteria to be a qualified provider under that NHS Right to Choose, so as long as your GP will make a referral to us, we will be able to get your ADHD treatment paid for by the NHS.

How can I exercise my Right to Choose? 

  1. Fill in this ASRS form
  2. Amend this letter to include your details and address it to your GP

  3. Take both ASRS form and the letter to your GP to request a referral to Psychiatry-UK

In order to be accepted your referral must;

  • Be addressed to Psychiatry-UK
  • State that the patient is to be referred to Psychiatry-UK for an ADHD Assessment under the NHS Right to Choose Legislation
  • Be signed off by a GP
  • Include a completed ASRS form
  • Include a patient summary along with patient contact details (phone and email address)

GP referrals should be sent by email to: p-uk.righttochoose-referrals@nhs.net (professional use only)

Alternatively, postal referrals can be sent to:

Psychiatry-UK LLP,
Trewalder Chapel,
PL33 9ET

Once we receive the referral from your GP, we will contact you and ask you to complete some further questionnaires, and then arrange an appointment for you to be assessed by one of our ADHD consultants and commence treatment if indicated, within a matter of weeks.

Your GP does not need to get prior approval for your referral from the local Clinical Commissioning Group and we do not need to seek their approval before starting your treatment.

Right To Choose – Your Questions Answered:

We receive a high number of enquiries about Right To Choose (RTC) so please read our FAQ’s below before getting in touch. 

What is Right To Choose?
RTC stands for Right to Choose. It gives you the right to choose an appropriate healthcare provider if your GP agrees you need to be referred to a specialist.

What is an appropriate healthcare provider?
Any provider that is commissioned in England to provide the service that you are requesting. Psychiatry-UK holds several contracts with NHSE CCG’s for adult ADHD services, so can be chosen for the same service by any eligible patient registered with a GP in England.

How can I be referred?
First you need to  discuss your condition and symptoms with your GP. If they agree that you may have ADHD  and that you need to be assessed, you have the legal right to choose an appropriate provider such as Psychiatry-UK. The referral can be sent to us directly from your GP.

How do I know if you have received my referral?
We will contact you by email or telephone.  Failing that, we will write to you.  If you are expecting to hear from us and haven’t, please contact your GP surgery to find out the date they sent the referral.   

Can I self-refer?
No, under the NHS rules the referral must come from your GP. You can self-refer if you are paying privately.

Does it cover the assessment and treatment?
Yes, if we receive a valid referral, the whole episode of treatment is covered.

Can I have therapy as well as medication?
When medication is not indicated, or chosen, a psychosocial needs assessment can be carried out. Following this, recommendations about therapy and ongoing management would be made. Therapy would be self-funded, or your GP could request an Individual Funding Request (IFR) from your local CCG.

What if my GP will not refer me?
Assuming that your GP is refusing to refer you due to funding concerns and not a clinical reason, you can ask them to read the NHS information governing patient choice. Common causes of confusion are the fact that we are not commissioned in your CCG, which is not relevant, or that the GP is only aware of applying through an IFR (Individual Funding Request) and asking the CCG for permission first, which again, is not necessary.

Does it cover Scotland/Wales/N.Ireland?
Unfortunately, not.  You must be registered with a GP in England to be eligible.

What if I am not diagnosed?
The consultant will advise you of their findings and a letter with recommendations will be sent to your GP to advise on your further care. You will not have to pay anything; the cost of this assessment will still be covered.

Does it cover other things (addiction, depression, etc)?
Unfortunately, no.  The patient choice rules cover all aspects of healthcare, but you can only choose an eligible provider that has an NHS contract for the service you require.  At present, we are commissioned for adult ADHD assessments and treatment only.

Can I get help for my child under RTC?
At present we can only see adults under the terms of our contracts. We do of course have child and adolescent specialists available on a private basis.

Do I have to wait for the CCG to agree?

Will RTC cover the cost of the medication?

I already have a diagnosis from elsewhere, but I cannot afford the treatment/there is a long waiting list to get treatment. Can I get referred to you under RTC?
Yes.  We will need a referral from your GP for your ongoing care following an ADHD diagnosis.  Your course of treatment will be defined depending on how long ago your diagnosis was and what treatment you are having currently.  You will not necessarily need another full assessment providing our consultants are happy to proceed based on the original diagnosis.

I have had an assessment and have not been diagnosed with ADHD. I want a second opinion.  Can I use RTC?
If  you were assessed for ADHD by an NHS consultant psychiatrist, then you can only have a second opinion if paying privately.   However, if your initial diagnosis was a private one you can access an assessment from Psychiatry-UK under your RTC if your GP is prepared to refer you.

I am currently under the care of my CMHT, can I swap to PUK?
No. The right to choose rules cannot be used to swap provider mid-treatment.  If you are unhappy with your existing care, you will need to reach a resolution with your current provider.

Can I pay for the initial assessment and then get refunded if I am referred later?
No.  We can only invoice the CCG from the date of the referral. You can get a referral from your GP to cover the cost of treatment following a diagnosis made privately, however.

What happens if my GP will not take over the prescribing?
At the end of the titration period, a shared care agreement (SCA) is sent to your GP so that they can take over the prescribing. Most referring GP’s are happy to take this on, but there is no obligation for them to do so. There are also some areas of England where certain medications cannot be prescribed by a GP and they are legally unable to accept the SCA. In these cases, we would continue to prescribe for you and invoice the CCG.

Why Choose Psychiatry-UK?

●     We are online, so our services are convenient and discreet.

●     We provide a speedy service which means patients can get a diagnosis in weeks   rather than months.

●     We are registered with the CQC – read our latest report here.

●     We are a GMC regulated designated body for doctors.

●     We are the largest (and most economic) provider of neurodevelopmental assessment services in the UK, seeing over 1000 patients every month.

●     We have over 50 consultant psychiatrists, so you can choose which doctor you see.

●     We are a qualified NHS provider.