There are three main fields in child and adolescent psychiatrists work:

  • Learning disabilities
  • Neurodevelopmental disorders (including ADHD)
  • General child and adolescent difficulties

However, there are often cross-overs between the fields. The sort of difficulties that we can help with might include:

  • Anger & Aggression
  • Anxiety and Stress
  • Behavioural Problems
  • Bereavement
  • Bullying
  • Depression
  • Early Years Issues
  • Eating Problems (although see below for exceptions)
  • Family Support
  • Fear and Phobias
  • Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
  • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
  • Psychosis
  • School Problems
  • Contribution to Special Educational Needs Assessments (SENs)
  • Self-Esteem
  • Self-Harm (although see below for exceptions)

As well as ADHD, neurodevelopmental disorders include:

  • Tic Disorders / Tourette’s syndrome
  • Autistic Spectrum Disorder (this includes Autism and what used to be called Asperger’s Disorder)

Diagnostic assessments for these more complex neurodevelopmental conditions require a multidisciplinary approach which can make them difficult to treat online, however, we have developed a newly combined service with OWL Independent Therapy*. This allows us to help some children with these types of issues.

We also have Psychiatrists who specialise in working with various mental health issues associated with Learning Disabilities.

However we are not usually comfortable with diagnostic assessments for the more complex neurodevelopmental conditions as these require a multidisciplinary approach. .

We also have psychiatrists who specialise in working with those with mental health issues that are associated with having a learning disability. However, these are seldom suitable for online treatment.

* The OWL Centre offers school or home visits throughout Bedfordshire, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Cambridgeshire, Gloucestershire, Greater Manchester, Hampshire, Hertfordshire, Kent, Central London, North London, North West London, South London, Northamptonshire, Oxfordshire, South Wales, Surrey, West Midlands and Worcestershire; and in parts of Herefordshire, Warwickshire and Wiltshire.