GMC Number: 6160747
Consultant Psychiatrist in Intellectual Disabilities & Neurodevelopmental Disorders.
Integrative/Preventative Psychiatry Specialist.
Dr Johnson is a Consultant Psychiatrist in the field of Neurodevelopmental Disorders & Intellectual Disabilities, namely Autism Spectrum Disorders and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). She has worked in a wide range of services in both the public and private sectors in the UK, including community mental health teams and forensic inpatient settings within both male and female services. Dr Johnson has expertise in the assessment and management of complex Neuro-developmental disorders such as Autism, ADHD, mental health disorders within the intellectual disabilities and general adult patient group and always works collaboratively with the patient/families and local services for treatment plans.
Dr Johnson is passionate about public awareness to Autism Spectrum Disorders and the need for sensitive, open dialogue around this condition which affects 1/100 people.
She believes that having a diagnosis of ASD can be potentially life changing for the patient as they can start to make sense of their difficulties and can be supported around their understandings to the conditions. Also, it would offer an explanation to any co-conditions often associated with Autism such as depression or anxiety that the patient might be experiencing. As a specialist in this field, Dr Johnson would assist any patient given this diagnosis to support them in the workplace for reasonable adjustments, as per the Autism Act, the first ever disability-specific law in England.
With additional training in Ayurvedic Medicine, a holistic eastern medical system, Dr Johnson offers the practice of Integrative/Preventative Psychiatry – promoting a healthy and balanced mindset.
“My unique practice of integrative psychiatry sees the person as a whole – I use conventional medical and psychiatric diagnostic techniques and treatments combined with evidence-based complementary treatments such as:
- Nutritional supplementation with vitamins, minerals and other micronutrients to support optimal health
- Lifestyle modification, including habits and practices to optimise sleep, energy, and diet and to regulate mood
- Herbal and plant-based medicine
- Mind-body practices such as meditation and mindfulness”
Dr Johnson has been involved with radio broadcasting initiatives abroad, promoting early mental health intervention and increasing awareness of mental health disorders and management. As the resident doctor and mental health expert on the Ibiza Breakfast Show, she aims to reduce the stigma around ill health by having open dialogue and increasing public awareness.
Dr Johnson’s pro-bono work includes working as a Mental Health Clinical Expert for institutions such as The Bank of England, City of London. She is also a Key Opinion Leader within the Aesthetics industry to raise awareness for mental health issues such as Body Dysmorphic Disorder and other Psycho-dermatology conditions-her main aim is to highlight and advise on risk awareness of vulnerable groups who come in contact with the cosmetic industry.
Dr Neetu Johnson’s areas of expertise are in the following:
- Autism Spectrum Disorder diagnosis in Adulthood
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) diagnosis in Adults
- Challenging Behaviour in the intellectual disability population / ASD patient group/ Down’s Syndrome population
- Mood problems, such as depression, mood swings, and bipolar disorder
- Anxiety, including generalized anxiety, panic attacks, post-traumatic stress disorder, and obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Integrative/Preventative Psychiatry
- Medical illness-related mood and anxiety problems, including psychiatric issues related to cancer, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, and chronic pain
- Women’s mental health issues, including psychiatric issues related to menstruation, pregnancy, infertility, or menopause, as well as management of psychiatric conditions through pregnancy and the postpartum period, including postpartum depression
Please read some of my recent feedback on I Want Great Care